What is Lymphatic Massage?
Manual Lymph Drainage is a set of specialized hands-on techniques which promotes the optimal function of the lymphatic system by stimulating the flow of lymph.
A healthy lymph system is essential to supporting your immune system. The lymph system helps the body maintain fluid balance (manage swelling), absorbs fats and fat soluble vitamins, and
provides defense against disease. It helps rid the body of toxins and is instrumental in creating antibodies that are custom designed to fight infection.
Lymphatic massage is an appropriate compliment to your regular massage schedule. It is useful as a general boost to your immune system and will aid in any detoxifying or cleansing program. A typical lymphatic massage will incorporate relaxation techniques as well as manual lymph drainage specifically designed to stimulate the lymph system. Clients find this method therapeutically effective while also gentle and relaxing. See Manual Lymph Drainage.
Lymphatic massage can be effective for many conditions including:
- Tension and Migraine headaches
- Burns and Scars
- Post Surgery Swelling (helps reduce scarring)
- Leg ulcers due to venous insufficiency
- Sprains and strains
Manual Lymph Drainage in Cancer Care
Post Operative Applications
Manual lymph drainage (MLD) is an excellent addition to your plan for after surgery care. Within days of your surgery this technique can be used to reduce swelling and pain. It can help speed the healing process which reduces the chances of scarring and skin issues. It is recognized as beneficial by both the medical and beauty industries.
The treatments use extremely gentle manual techniques to alleviate swelling, pain and inflammation. It is a very light, soothing and rhythmic massage designed to move fluid from the tissues and promote optimal function of the lymphatics.
Benefits in post surgical care include:
- Bruising reduction decreases "downtime". Less time off work
- Eliminates swelling more quickly
- Pain reduction effects of MLD can reduce the need for strong pain medications
- Scar tissue prevention and fibrosis reduction - improved appearance of skin
- Reduces chance of infection because it keeps the lymph moving and encourages the production of infection fighting cells
- Studies show that recovery time is significantly shortened